HART MetroRapid will help improve travel along selected service corridors with enhancements that increase the speed of transit, improve service reliability and make it easier for people to use transit.
MetroRapid features include bus preferential treatments (traffic signal priority, off-vehicle ticket vending machines), enhanced passenger stations, and special low-floor buses.
HART MetroRapid system will feature fewer stops, high frequency and advanced technology to help travelers get to their destinations quickly and conveniently.
How will it work?
• Sleek new vehicles offer a comfortable ride for passengers
• New, modern station stops
• Transit Signal Priority holds green lights and shortens red lights for MetroRapid buses as they approach the intersection, if the bus is 3 minutes (or more) behind schedule. TSP provides a 15 percent travel-time savings, and MetroRapid buses are estimated to travel the 17.5-mile North-South route in under an hour.
• Ticket Vending Machines at major stations to speed boarding
• Bicycle racks at each station
The MetroRapid North-South operates north on Nebraska Avenue from downtown Tampa then east along Fletcher Avenue to the vicinity of Telecom Park (west of I-75). Hidden River Regional Park-n-Ride is a new park and ride facility in the Fletcher Avenue/I-75 area. Several community meetings were held throughout the design phases to provide residents and businesses with details about the project and an opportunity to receive their feedback.
The system is now operational.
• Weekday, 15-minute service from Marion Transit Center - University Area Transit Center (UATC); 30-minute service from UATC to Hidden River Regional Park-n-Ride
Hillsborough County Community Investment Tax funded the design and construction phases of the MetroRapid N-S project. HART is proud to report that a June 2012 review of the original project estimate of $31 million determined that this project is under budget by $5.7 million. This funding has been reallocated back to Hillsborough County for its infrastructure needs, if desired. CIT funding is only earmarked for capital improvement costs, and cannot be reallocated for operational costs, such as bus routes.
Final Bid Set for MetroRapid North-South (new) - Four parts
Click the maps below to find out how the project affects your community by City Council, County Commission districts and zipcode.
HART started Preliminary Development and Environmental (PD&E) of MetroRapid East-West in Fall 2011.
© 2014 Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART). Tampa, Florida. Public transit service for Tampa, Ybor City, Macdill, Temple Terrace, and Tampa International Airport