Of the 45% designated to HART, the language of the charter amendment states that HART
must spend its funding in the following “buckets” of funding types:
- 45% on Enhancing Bus Services ($56m annually)
- Enhancing express, neighborhood, circulator, paratransit and other
- 35% on Expanding Public Transit Options ($44m annually)
- Spent on transit service that utilize exclusive transit right-of-way for
at least 75% of the length of the service.
- 30% on Remaining Funds ($25m annually)
- Flexible funding that can be used on any project to improve public
Staff has developed a strategic set of projects within each of the above buckets of funding that will expend
available sales tax allocations that HART has accrued for both CY 2019 and 2020. Total estimated sales tax
allocated to HART for CY 2019 and 2020 is $253,092,000
- 45%: $113,892,000 of funding toward expanding service
- 35%: $88,582,000 of funding toward fixed guideway projects
- No specific projects have been identified for this category to date.
There will be $82,232,000 in sales tax reserves for this category at the
end of CY 2020.
- 20%: $50,618,000 of flexible funding toward a variety of transit related